Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I Thought of You Today...



In November, I "discovered" a new (to me) challenge blog, The Path of Positivity.  In a world of negativity, this challenge blog seeks to actively look for and promote positive things.  Each month there is a theme and participants are encouraged to make a project or write a post inspired by that theme.  This month the theme is Unique.  According to the dictionary, unique can mean something that is one of a kind (an antique manuscript), something found only in a certain place (an animal species found only in one country), or something that is different or unusual.

In our world, we sometimes do not look kindly on those that are "different."  Sometimes, your values are different.  In that case, just remember the saying, "What's right is not always popular, and what's popular is not always right." If your difference is a visible medical problem, our society may have more concern for you.  However, if you are one of the many who suffer with an invisible illness, all too often, part of the suffering is from the insensitivity of others.  Just about every person with an invisible chronic illness has heard more times than they can count, "but you don't look sick."  Ugh!  Chronic illness is not a bid for attention or because the person is "dramatic." If you have someone in your life with a chronic illness, no doubt, you want to do something to lighten their load.  The #1 way you can be a help to them is to BELIEVE them. 

A young woman I know was diagnosed a few months ago with a chronic illness that requires a complete change of diet.  Our daughter has some of the same dietary restrictions so they have been able to exchange ideas.  As this young lady is learning to navigate these new waters, she's also having to deal with the insensitivity of others.  I'm so proud of her because instead of becoming bitter towards those who have hurt her, she is instead going out of her way to do something extra nice for them.  I made this card to not only let her know that I love her just the way she is, but that I'm so proud of her for her unique response.

 
I chose an unusual (for me) card design and made a shaker card. This was also the first time I added sequins to the front of my card. The sentiment was heat embossed on vellum and then backed with flamingo patterned paper.  Inside are iridescent sequins, floral sequins and clear bangle beads. Plenty of glitter, bling and flowers complete the front.  I really like how the card turned out.  Very girly and sparkly....perfect for this extra special young lady.

Tip:  When making a shaker card, using your anti-static bag or tool on the acetate before adding the sequins will help your sequins and beads move around more freely.


The inside uses a die I recently purchased.  The wavy edge made a perfect border for the flamingos.


Supplies:
Cardstock:  Georgia Pacific (white), Bazzill (pink)
Patterned Paper:  Blitz Design (Felicity 6x6 pad)
Specialty Papers:  WorldWin Vellum, Crystal Clear acetate
Stamp: Studio G wood mounted stamp
Ink: VersaFine (Onyx Black)
Tools/Embellishments: Staedtler fine tip marker (black), Stickles (Crystal), Prima Flowers (blue), Michael's Flowers (pink), Mike's Crafts Inc. (white tipped with blue), iridescent sequins (unknown - I misplaced the packaging), V's Sweet Ideas Sequins (Peony Floral 5mm), Cousin Corp glass bugle beads, Spellbinders dies (Circle Small, Picot Edge Circle), My Favorite Things die-namics (Wavy Edge), Stampin' Up! embossing powder (Crystal Clear), Want2Scrap Baby Bling rhintestones, Prima Say It In Crystal (blue flourish)

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
Path of Positivity Challenge #22 - Uniqueness
Craft Your Passion Challenge #245 - Anything Goes
Shopping Our Stash Challenge #185- Not Your Normal Paper (I tend to hoard my vellum and acetate)
Papertake Weekly - Get in Shape (I used square card base and layers, circle window and frame, and floral shape sequins)
Tuesday Throwdown #228 - Embossing (I used heat embossing)
Top Tip Tuesday Challenge - Something New (My wavy edge die is new and so is adding sequins to the card front)
Cuttlebug Mania - Wildlife (flamingos)
4 Crafty Chicks #229 - Flowers

I truly do appreciate you taking the time to stop by today.  I hope you'll come back again soon.

15 comments:

Brenda said...

Lovely card, Stephanie, as is the story behind it. I am sure it will be cherished. Thanks for sharing with us at Top Tip Tuesday Challenge!

Sandy Hentzel said...

Great post! I love the colors of this card, it is sooooo pretty!

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Stephanie. You have captured the essence of our theme at POP so beautifully. From the definition of uniqueness to the special young lady you made this fabulously girly shaker card for. Thank you for taking part in our uniqueness challenge this month, we are honoured having you playing with us.
Hugs
Desire

Elaine Stark said...

A very pretty card. A lovely sentiment and great tip. Thanks for joining Top Tip Tuesday. Elaine

*Vicki* said...

Such a gorgeous creation!! I love the shaker design, colors and your embossed sentiment! Thanks for sharing with us at Tuesday Throwdown Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

Pat said...

Stephanie, your card is beautiful, and so is your definition of uniqueness. If everyone felt the way you did, wouldn't the world be a much better, happier place! Thank you for playing in the Path of Positivity challenge this month (and for the anti-static use when making shakers).

Donna said...

Gorgeous card Stephanie, love how you've used the vellum and acetate (I hoard those too!!)
Thanks for sharing and for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Not Your Normal Paper" challenge!!

Kimbo said...

Love your pink flamingoes - so pretty

Thanks for playing along at Cuttlebug Mania this time and hope to see you again soon x

Chris Dring said...

What a gorgeous card and a wonderful post! Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

Bonnie Irvine said...

I am sure that the receiver of this card will be delighted with it, both because of its beauty but also because of the message behind it. Great shaker design. Thanks for sharing this story. Thanks so much for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Craft Your Passion. I hope we see you again soon.

chanya13 said...

Beautiful !!! Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion!!! I hope you get to join us again for our next challenge. Agnieszka DT

Peanut said...

This is a beautiful post, Stephanie. I could not help but hit the follow button! With my DT hat on - What a sweet project! Seriously. You lovely, soft colours and the sparkly details are magical. Thanks for “Embossing” along with us over at Tuesday Throwdown.
hugs and blessings, Asha

LoveBeingWright said...

You have been a Shining Star of Hope in my world, Thank you Mom! I love you very much!

Desire Fourie said...

Back with my DT hat on. Stephanie this is just so pretty and gorgeous and I love the flamingo theme and the gorgeous shaker box. This is so perfect for our UNIQUENESS theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Edwina said...

Stephanie, Thank you. I too have invisible illnesses. It is hard to deal with looks and comments by those who are healthy. They treat you like you are crazy or lying. Yet you learn to just walk away and deal it as it is their problem not yours. Patience is something we learn to have and just keep on going on. Your young friend sounds wonderful. I hope that the negative comments do not wear her down. I believe your encouragement will mean a lot to her. Your card you made is gorgeous! She will love it. Thanks for sharing. Edwina Brown

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...