Thursday, July 11, 2013

Butterfly Spotlight

I have a different type of card to share with you today.  I've seen a couple cards recently that were clear.  I really like them but haven't made one in a long time. When I saw this week's challenge at Flourishes to use acetate on your card, I decided now was the time.  I also was introduced to a great sketch challenge blog, Tuesday Morning Sketches.  They are having a birthday celebration (Happy Birthday, TMS) and have 4 different sketches to choose from this week.  I chose to use sketch #4 but added the bow element to help cover where the acetate is attached.  Sketches are for inspiration and don't have to be followed exactly...right?  :)






I also wanted to try a "new to me" technique I've seen around blog-land and decided to try the Spotlight Technique.  It was kind of fun and certainly adds a dramatic touch.  Beate has a great tutorial on the Spotlight Technique over on SCS.





I lined the interior of the card with a lavender dotted paper and added a place for a note.  The decorations on the front hide it from view.





I used the space behind the front decorations to add a Scripture verse.




Here's a view of the inside of the front panel of the card.  I learned that photographing a clear card with a white background can make cropping/editing it a challenge.  It's hard to see where the card ends.  Maybe I'll try a black background next time. 




Note to self:
When making clear cards in the future, and when using a thick transparency instead of clear "cardstock",  add patterned paper or cardstock to the bottom edge for stability.

Supplies:
Cardstock:  Express-it, Creative Imaginations (Lavender)
Patterned Paper:  NRN Designs (Purple Floral), Art Impressions (Dotty Lavender)
Stamps:  Flourishes (Picking Wildflowers), Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps (Our Refuge)
Ink:  Memento (Tuxedo Black)
Copics:  V04, 06, 09; YG03, 05; R20; YR21; E29, 50; Y11, 13, 15, 17, 21
Tools/Embellishments:  Transparency (brand unknown), Spellbinders (Circles Large & Small, Lacey Circles), Doodlebug Stitched Grosgrain ribbon (Lilac), CM Fine Tip Black pen, Fiskar's Border punch (Apron Lace)

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
Tuesday Morning Sketches #206 (TMS206) - 4th Birthday Sketch Challenge
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge (FTTC228) - Seeing Clearly (use acetate on card)
Tuesday Throwdown #155 - Use Spotlight Technique
Going Gray with Scrap Creations - Use ribbon & bow
Crafty Ribbons Challenge #52 - Anything Goes with Ribbon

Thanks for stopping by today.

14 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Absolutely gorgeous and I love how the yellow butterfly pops against the rest of the mauve design.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Cheryl said...

Oh Wow, this is gorgeous! I love the way you incorporated the acetate into your card, and the spotlight technique turned out beautiful! I'm so glad you joined us for the Timeless Tuesday Seeing Clearly challenge!

Jessi Fogan said...

Stephanie, you are so right! The sketches are for inspiration - I can totally see where you were inspired :) And in this case, that bow is totally necessary! I'm just in love with your gorgeous card, and I'm so glad that you came to play with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches, and I hope you will again!

Margaret said...

Great card. Terrific technique. I think I need to google it and try one.

Laura said...

I love acetate cards! There is something so elegant about them, and yours is no exception! Love the clean design, and the spotlight technique looks fabulous! Thanks so much for joining the Tuesday Morning Sketches 4th Birthday Celebration! I'm so glad you found us, and hope you'll join us again! :)

Debbie said...

Wow, Stephanie, this is gorgeous!! Yes, it's a great take on the sketch!! thanks for sharing all your "notes to self," too!
Thanks for coming to our birthday party this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!! :)

Crafting Vicky said...

Wow you have tried a lot of different techniques here and you have done fabulously!!!

Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

NanaConnie said...

Spectacular, Steph! All of your techniques combined into a beautiful card. Great job on the Spotlight. :-D Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Tuesday Throwdown and I hope we're going to see you again soon. Good luck in the draw.
NanaConnie TT DT

Melissa Craig said...

Gorgeous! I love this technique! And my favorite color, too. Thanks for celebrating TMS's 4th birthday!

Allison Cope said...

Absolutely gorgeous Stephanie! Love your use of acetate and your colour - purple, my fav! Thanks for joining us for our Timeless Tuesday Challenge this week over at Flourishes!
Ally.

Unknown said...

I do love this technique - really must give it a go. Super card. Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Crafty Ribbons this time.
hugs
Dawn xx

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Stephanie, this is simply gorgeous!! Love how the portion inside the circle is colored in contrast to the b/w for the rest of the image!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Melody said...

Very pretty! I love the spotlight idea.

CraftyGirl said...

Love your card inside and out. Your flowers are so pretty spotlighted and that bow is stunning. I am very glad you entered this week at Tuesday Throwdown. I hope you had fun!!! See you back very soon to play in another fun challenge.

TTFN,

CraftyGirl
craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com
Tuesday Throwdown DT

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...